Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Sabine Moves On - and Cassandra moves in!

Sabine's been with me since February of this year, and she's come so far.  I can now walk up to her, pet her, halter her and doing anything (aside from riding her) that I do with my own horses.  I'm really proud of her progress.  Now it is time for her to move on.  She's going to become the foster horse for a new member of Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society.   She's now safe to handle and can continue to work on her ground manners until she finds an adopter willing to train her.

She's going to leave either Thursday or Friday morning.  And I have to admit I'm sad to see her go. I know her new foster home will enjoy  her, and I'm proud of what we've accomplished.  I like Sabine, though, and so it'll be a bitter-sweet morning when she leaves.

But when she leaves, a new one will arrive to take her place.  Cassandra is an approx. 8 year old, huge Thoroughbred mare.  She's going to look like a giant next to my little Arabs.  When she came to BEHS, she had the tendency to rear if you asked her to do anything she didn't like.  And she didn't like much!  She spent nearly three months at a trainer's place to get her over rearing.  He put a few rides on her, and she'll come here for more time under saddle.  I'll be posting updates as I work with her. 

For her first week, I plan to just brush up her ground manners:  work on leading, longing, carrying the saddle and bridle, etc.  If she does well with all that, we'll move back into the saddle after a week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment